Wondering the best way to find your wedding photographer?
Photos are a big part of your wedding day. These photos capture everything about your wedding from the ceremony to the decor, from the guests to the emotions and expressions on their face. Picking out just the right photographer to capture your day in the way you want can be hard. Here are some tips on how to pick out the right photographer for you and your fiance.
Style: What style(s) do you specialize in? How would you describe your photography style?
There are many different styles of photography. Before you begin researching photographers, you’ll need to first decide what type of photography style you prefer, as that will help determine which kind of photographer you’ll want shooting your wedding. Some photographer styles are the following:
- Fine Art
- Edgy and Bold
“When should I book my photographer?”
It is never too early to start looking. Search photographers near you and start browsing their website and portfolio. If you are interested in them, contact them and see if they have your date available. When to book your photographer will depend on a few different factors such as the following:
- Is your wedding around a holiday? If so, photographers can be extra busy, so booking as soon as you know you want them to shoot your big day is a good idea.
- Is your wedding on a weekend or a weekday? Weekends are very popular for weddings, therefore photographers tend to be busier on the weekends.
The earlier the better to book a photographer, as they can be booked out months away.
Research/Setting up interviews:
Once you have an idea of what kind of photos you like, you can start to research the photographers around you. If you like what you see on their website, contact them to see if they are available on your wedding day. If they are, ask to meet up with him. It is hard to make a decision like this just based on their website portfolio. You must meet potential photographers in person and see if you click with each other. Below are a few questions to ask:
- Will the photos be retouched and color balanced? Is that done before I see the proofs?
- How many weddings have you shot and how many do you do in a year? Also, what’s your favorite part of a wedding day
and time of year to shoot?
- Have you ever shot at *venue name* before?
- Do you shoot both digital and film?
- What is included in your packages?
- How many hours of coverage do we get? What is the charge for overtime?
- What is the deposit and total fee?
- Will you be my actual photographer or will it be one of your associates?
- Do you have backup photographers who will shoot the wedding if you’re sick?
- Will there be a second shooter or any assistants? If so, is there an additional fee for each?
- How long will it take us to receive the photos?
- Will you follow a shot list?
- What are the restrictions for sharing photos online?
When you meet with a wedding photographer have an idea of what you are envisioning for your wedding. It would also be helpful if you had a list of the types of pictures you want from your wedding so the photographer can get a feel for your style as well. Don’t be afraid to convey to the photographer what you are looking for!
Follow me on Pinterest for Wedding Photography Shotlist Inspiration!